User Profile
Hello!
I had my first MRI (head) 4 hours ago, because I've been having unusual headaches for 5 months.

My MRI lasted 30 minutes, with different kinds of noisy scans & a dye injection (I don't believe I had a reaction to the dye). Since I have a long history of panic attacks, I took an Ativan before the procedure. I stayed fairly calm & used deep breathing.

After, I sat up very slowly -- but I was whammied with intense dizziness, lightheadedness, & nausea. I had to hold the wall & walk very slowly -- I felt very heavy & shaky.

The medical staff said, "Sometimes the magnetic field used can make people dizzy for a couple minutes, but we've never seen anyone react so severely." They kept me for observation for a half hour.

I'm home now, & still feel nauseous & dizzy if I move too quickly (i.e. faster than a snail).

I have experienced severe vertigo (room spinning when I move) 3 or 4 other times in the last five years. I had to remain immobile for 24 hours before it passed.

What I'm experiencing today feels like that. (When I have panic, I sometimes feel nauseous & lightheaded -- but not like this.

Do other people respond to head MRIs with such severity, or with vertigo? Perhaps the vertigo resulted from lying totally flat & still for 30 minutes, which I never do?

Are other people similarly sensitive to, & affected by, the magnetic fields? Especially people who are empathic & sensitive to their environment?

It's scary, as well as inconvenient & frustrating, to not know why my body reacts so strangely & strongly!

I'm a 47-yr-old woman (no kids), in good health mostly. I take Zoloft for lifelong anxiety & depression. I had a melanoma removed in 2001, without need of chemo or radiation. (But that's why I worry about my head...)

Any support & suggestions are appreciated! Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2016
Welcome to e health forum.

Your symptoms are indicative of possible Benign Positional Vertigo.

Benign positional vertigo (BPV) is the most common cause of vertigo. It causes a sudden sensation of spinning. It can also make you feel like your head is spinning from the inside.

BPV is the result of a disturbance inside your inner ear. Fluid inside tubes in your ear, called semicircular canals, moves when your position changes. The semicircular canals are extremely sensitive.

The symptoms if very severe can be improved with medications like Meclizine and other prescription medications.

BPV is uncomfortable but manageable, and it usually improves with time. But BPV can occur again after successful treatment, and it may return without warning. There’s no cure for BPV.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.