Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Distal Tibia and Proximal Fibula Fracture (Page 1)

Hi guys i have a bad fall from 4 steps staircase on 26th July 2013 in an office building and resulted in a short oblique closed fracture at the distal third of the right tibia and a mildly comminuted tranverse fracture at the proximal end of fibula. My Surgeon did the reduction surgery on the same day with one plate and 12 screws inserted into my right leg.

My feet and the toes swelling badly during the first week and slowly subside in the second week. Now is my third week and i have some questions about my feet conditions, the treatment and when to try or expect weight bearing.

My feet seem to feel this pulling sensation at the bottom whenever i stretch my leg ankle, initially i suspect is the damage tissues or nerves but turn out it is a quite serious cracked feet. Did anyone experience this after tibia fracture surgery? I have read about blister but no one mentioned about cracked feet? It is very uncomfortable as whenever i try to stretch my ankle or move my toes it will remind me the discomfort sensations.

I had stop taking pain killer medicine as i do not wish to rely on pain killer forever. So whenever i elevate my leg nicely it is still ok else i will feel the stiffness and pain. This is ok for but the weird condition that get my attention is a sometimes sudden stiffness and pain near the fracture site which is happen frequently during the night time and less frequent during the day time. Is this normal?

At the same time i have the follow up appointment with my surgeon today despite my eager for the xray to know the progress of the fracture site, i was informed that the next xray will be done only after 3 months. I need to know is this ok? As it will take a long time not knowing if anything is not right and will further waste more time to fix it then.
I will be meeting my surgeon again on the seventh week, should i insist for the xray or should i get it done earlier else where?

Then the Weight bearing issue also bother me a lot. I wish i can umdo the cructhes and able to stand or walk with a cane as early as possible as that to me is regaining 50% of freedom to move around and independent. However, my surgeon approach is do no xray and no weight bearing until 3 months post operation. Only then will do xray checking and stand and walk. Id this a good strategy for healing?

My surgeon also told me now my ankle will be very stiff so he want me to pull and stretch the ankle as much as possible everyday until i feel very painful. To me the painful sensation is the poison that i have no choice but must swallow. However how do i know i did not over do it or is it safer if i do it during Psyhio?

I also wish to know if my case is consider high energy fracture or low energy fracture?

I would really appreciate if anyone with similar experience or knowledge to give me some advice Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile glxpassat
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2013
Experienced User
Low energy breaks often time are results from falls, sport accidents. High energy breaks are generally automobile accidenst, motorbike accidents, etc.
|

replied August 16th, 2013
Experienced User
Hi Glxpassat nice to hear from you Smile Do you mean even low energy fracture will also result in oblique or spiral pattern break to the tibia?

How about weight bearing standard practise? Do we go direct 100% weight bearing or do a gradually weight bearing?

Hope to get more answers and i wish you to have a Good day Smile
|

User Profile
Hiya Sam!
I have a similar fracture on my right ankle, ORIF bimalleolar with 1 plate 8 screws(surg on 7/20). I was told non weight bearing for minimum of 6 weeks. The weight bearing seems to go up slowly starting as toe touch. Also seems to vary depending on patient and intensity of physical therapy. I hope you get some good answers and share soon.
Oh, about the cracked feet. I have a similar issuse of very dry leg and foot and was advised to apply lotion as needed; which as been multiple times a day!
Take care and happy recovery
|

replied August 17th, 2013
Experienced User
Hi toolgyrl81,

I sorry for your injury and hope you will get well as fast as possible Smile As for my weight bearing issue i think i made a mistake saying my surgeon doesn't allow me to weight bearing at all. He actually advice me can put my leg down when i'm sitting and i had started doing so since yesterday. That would means may be 10% weight bearing i think Smile But he don't plan to let me increase gradually. He would want to check out if i can stand or walk after he check the xray in the 90th days. There also should be very significant tissues imjury so he recommend me to stretch my leg ankle every day until it hurts. To preventstiffness i believe just i wish to be cautious now not to over stretch for now. For the crack feet i also applying the aqua cream to the foot once a day Smile
|

my tibia and fibula was crushed by gunshot
Hi everyone
I sustained a fracture , open one from a gun short at a close range. It is 6 weeks now, the doctor fix external fixator for 5week during when the wound are been treated and after that he fix me in a cast now. (no internal fixation )
Please this link is the xray done yesterday for the fracture. I cannot seee any healing and the gap is too much, doctor said it will form a bone cement. Please can anyone look at it and tell me what need to be done. This is very worrisome. I have been lying in the bed for 6 weeks now. It is not easy at all.

http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/henazub/ media/HENRYEHIUIGWE-20130814-5E639F3C12684 6D9B41A4139BD63F4F0_zpsd884c999.png.html
|

PLEASE CAN BROKEN BONE FORM BONE CEMENT TO FILL AVAILABLE GAP. ? AND HOW LONG WILL THIS TAKE. THANKS
|

replied August 18th, 2013
Experienced User
Hi Henzub,

Based on my readings i think usually if the gap is too big the surgeon will do a bone graft surgery for you to promote healing. Depending on the type of fracture and severity it take at least 10 weeks to heal. That's why it is very frustrating to get a broken leg. It is also until now i truly understand why some martial arts have special techniques to attack legs which normally we would expect to hit the face or chest to bring down the opponents but they hit legs and also why soccer players should receibe heavy punishment if they injure other players' foot on purpose during the match.
|

Experienced User
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Sam1925 - From my experience in all the reading I've done, there are been so many variables in the healing process, and when you can do weight bearing - how bad the breaks were, how they are healing, if you smoke, your age, etc. I know with my accident,t which was a really bad ATV accident; was considered "high-energy" I broke my tibia in two spots, and my fibula, my leg was literally turned in the opposite direction after my crash. I had emergency surgery putting in the IM Nail with 2 sets of 2 screws. I'm at 11 weeks now, and I am still on crutches; allowed to put partial weight. My follow-up visit will be at the end of the month, and really depending on how the bones are doing will I see if I can do full weight-bearing?

I really recommend talking with your doctor, and going to physical therapy, as they know your status, and will be able to guide you in the most efficient way. If you put weight on the leg at the wrong time of healing, you could have drastic results, or if you don’t put the needed weight at the appropriate time, you could have slower healing. Look up the “Wolff’s Law.”
Anyway, I wish you quick recovery!
|

Experienced User
Hi Glxpassat,

I'm so sorry for your severe injury must be extremely painful during the trauma. I still remember no pain killer can stop the pain on D day until during surgery i requested to take spiner injection from the surgeon since he mentioned the procedure will take only 1 hour max. If longer than 4 hours i will ask for the epidura instead. The surgeon was quite surprise i know about it. Anyway i'm glad to know that you are on track for healing and i also would like to wish you fast recovery Smile

As per your advice i will talk to my surgeon during the 7th week follow up to ask him to give me the chance to take xray. But that is another 4 weeks endurance.....Btw due to the hospital is quite far away from my home it is very inconvenient to go for the physio. Do you think if it is possible i just go tona nearer hospital to do physio?
|

Experienced User
Hi Glxpassat,

I'm so sorry for your severe injury must be extremely painful during the trauma. I still remember no pain killer can stop the pain on D day until during surgery i requested to take spiner injection from the surgeon since he mentioned the procedure will take only 1 hour max. If longer than 4 hours i will ask for the epidura instead. The surgeon was quite surprise i know about it. Anyway i'm glad to know that you are on track for healing and i also would like to wish you fast recovery Smile

As per your advice i will talk to my surgeon during the 7th week follow up to ask him to give me the chance to take xray. But that is another 4 weeks endurance.....Btw due to the hospital is quite far away from my home it is very inconvenient to go for the physio. Do you think if it is possible i just go tona nearer hospital to do physio?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Sam1925- there are many excercises you can do without seeing a physical therapist; if this is not within yours means, e.g., distance. Stretch your feet... Pointing toe down, then up. Go sid-to-side. Another good one, is put a towel on the ground, and try to pick it up with the foot of your bad leg. Now of course only do a small amount at first. Anyway, you can find more helpful excercises on the web. And thank you!
|

Experienced User
Hi glxpassat,

Ok noted will try to workout as per your suggestion. Btw so far how many xray have your surgeon done for you to check the progress? Anyway i wish you can do full weight bearing at the end of this month Smile
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I've had two sets since getting out of the hospital. I will be getting another series the end of the month. Which I was told usually doesn't happen until six, to seven months out, but because the significance of my injury, I'm getting them done sooner.
|

Experienced User
Hi glxpassat,

Ok noted. Looks like you recovery is either on track or heal faster than average people Smile Btw since you are an active person do you do exercises in bed that can help sweating?l
|

replied August 23rd, 2013
Experienced User
Hi Guys,

It's been 4 weeks since my right leg tibia oblique fracture and it is really frustrating cannot stand and cannot walk for more weeks further. Is there anyone who have heales from tibia oblique fracture within 8 weeks to 9 weeks? Can share with me what have you done to improve the recovery besides your very healthy body?
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied August 27th, 2013
Experienced User
Already 4 weeks+ and i can only do exercise raising leg in the bed. Take the wheel chair to move around for 30 to 60 mins. The rest of the day are lots of pressure counting how many days post trauma and surgery and not able to do much.

Despite the advancement in science and technology why no one has invented any device to assist people like us to get back on our feet immediatel? I'm sure anyone will be willing to pay the price to use the device to stand and walk again.

Anyone here also have a tibia oblique fracture and healed already? How long does it take for you to stand and walk again?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
@ Sam1925 - I know my injuries I sustained in my quad accident have been grueling, excruciating, and one of the worst experiences in my life… I completely feel for you! Today I went and saw my orthopedic surgeon 13 weeks out, and might I add, he finally let me put full weight (with a cane for support), and the healing of my bones are remarkable! I was shocked at how well they are healing. I had substantial gabs in the breaks. One of the breaks in the tibia is completely gone, the other tibia and fibula breaks are filled in with a lot of cloudiness. I've been taking like 1024% Vitamin D, and Calcium! I totally recommend this!
|

Experienced User
Hi glxpassat,

Congratulation and i'm so happy for you Smile Finally you can stand and walk even with a cane it is really a big achievement Smile Considering you are suffering from high energy break and you have heal so fast within 13 weeks so you must be one very healthy and active person Smile I'm sure within 2 to 3 weeks you should be able to walk without a cane Smile Anyway are you suggesting to take the Calsium and Vitamin D supplement everyday? Smile
|

Experienced User
Hi glxpassat,

Congratulation and i'm so happy for you Smile Finally you can stand and walk even with a cane it is really a big achievement Smile Considering you are suffering from high energy break and you have heal so fast within 13 weeks so you must be one very healthy and active person Smile I'm sure within 2 to 3 weeks you should be able to walk without a cane Smile Anyway are you suggesting to take the Calsium and Vitamin D supplement everyday? Smile
|

User Profile
replied August 28th, 2013
Experienced User
@ Sam1925 - THANK YOU! I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! I know I still have a long ways to go, but this is defiantly giving me some hope, and strength! The Vitamin D supplement and Calcium should be taken every day. Since taking these supplements (when I got out of the hospital) I noted my nails are growing at a crazy-fast rate, so that made me think, if my nails are growing at such an amazing speed, my bones must be filling in quick; which by the x-rays they sure are! Here is the product I’m taking currently; "Spring Valley Vitamin D-3 Maximum Strength - Daily Value 1,250%,” and “vitafusion Calcium Gummy Vitamins for adults.” Keep me posted on things!
|

replied August 29th, 2013
Experienced User
Hi glxpassat,

Ok noted i will try to get the supplement tomorrow Smile i have flu and cough for the last 5 days already so hope it doesn't affect my healing process Smile
|

replied September 5th, 2013
Experienced User
Today is 6 weeks post operation.....still got many weeks to go......it hurts my freedom and independency. Hopefully next week during follow up appointment my surgeon is willing to let me get the xray to find out the progress Smile
|

replied September 5th, 2013
Experienced User
Today is 6 weeks post operation.....still got many weeks to go......it hurts my freedom and independency. Hopefully next week during follow up appointment my surgeon is willing to let me get the xray to find out the progress Smile
|

replied September 20th, 2013
Experienced User
Just some updates. Already 8 weeks post surgery and i went for follow up aapointment with my surgeon. Consistent with the previous plan, i would have to wait for another 5 weeks to take the xray. Yesterday he show explain to me the fracture with the post surgery xray. What i assumed earlier as 2 breaks in my tibia is actually one long spiral fracture, so long that you would think it is 2 breaks from different location Sad So, that's all for now and hope you guys heal fast and glxpassat start walking already Smile
|