Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Distal Femur Fracture and kneecap fracture

I suffered a distal femur fracture and broken kneecap about 4 years ago. I have a femur plate and screws alongside my femur, and pins in my knee. I was able to rehab quite well. I can play golf and do workouts at the gym on a regular basis. I have pain alongside my femur plate in the mid thigh area. I take Extra Strength Tylenol on a pretty regular basis, especially before playing golf or going on walks. I’m wondering if there are any other options for me to consider that would help alleviate or reduce this pain without always having to take Tylenol. Perhaps there is some topical treatment that would help, or maybe acupuncture?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 26th, 2019
Topical NSAID for relief from pain of broken bones
You might get some relief from dry needle therapy ala acupuncture. Many physical therapy clinics can provide this. And I would definitely recommend Voltaren gel (topical diclofenac). It is a great topical pain reliever for joint pain and arthritis (prescription in the US, OTC in the UK and elsewhere). By using a topical you are not stressing your GI so much, nor your kidneys/liver like you would with oral medication. It is supposed to take up to 20 minutes to work but I find I get almost instant relief. I have broken many bones and have plates and screws as well, and it has been a real life saver. However,I think you should talk to your orthopedic surgeon to see if there is anything about the femur plate or screws that could be addressed.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply