I have had three exisions on my body that were serious displastic nevus, two on my left leg and one on the palm of my hand. I am supposed to be watching two more spots on my body. I am not a moley person...I used to tan when I was a kid and I used to use tanning beds.

My mom has a history of cancer (not skin cancer) and has been fighting it for the past 4 yrs. She was telling me about an exam she thinks that I might want to take, which is called a systemic exam?

What do you think? Could this be something more than just displastic nevus? Could this be the result of something else going on and the displastic nevus spots are a result of it?

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 21st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
The extreme exposure to light UV is most common reason for developing dyspalstic moles.
Although, the susceptibility to have them is usually inherited.
People with multiple dysplastic moles, need to have regular checks (systemic exams when dermatologist may photograph your skin so that changes in your moles can be detected at follow-up visits), because individuals with a single dysplastic mole on their bodies have a twofold risk of developing melanoma.
Dysplastic moles have characteristics similar to melanoma, but, only very few dysplastic moles actually turn into melanoma and they do not need to be removed routinely.

Do you feel some new and weird sensations on the two suspected spots?
How they look?
|

replied July 21st, 2008
Thank you so much for replying. No, just that they are similar in color. That is all....since I have had these exisions, I have been seeing my dermatologist every three months and it seems every three months she shaves a spot off of me and I end up going to get an exision.
|
Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....