Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Diseases pread via razor blade ?

Hi All,

Recently i went to a saloon for my hair cut and shaving. Barber used the already shaved blade on me. But i didnt have any cuts in my face. But still im fearing if any diseases can be spread via the shaved blade. It seems he didnt immerse the blade in any alcohol or in any of the chemical solutions before using it to me.

I would like to know though there is no cuts, is it possible for some viruses to get in. Also how long the viruses stay alive on the blades so that it can be spread to others.

thanks
arun
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jibbajabba234
|

replied October 30th, 2008
Supporter
Even without cuts, viruses may be able to get into the wound. Thus it was quite irresponsible of your barber to use a used blade. Viruses are not living per se, they instead use host cells to replicate. Thus, they are "immortal" unless destroyed by alcohol, other drugs, high temperature etc.

I hope that clarifies a few things.
|

Hi Mame,

Thanks for your reply and it clarifies me some things. But i read in the internet HIV virus cannot live outside the human body for long time. It will be spread only when the body fluid of infected person to get inside of other human beings. Frankly speaking i was too much worried about this HIV virus and I got confused with this. Kindly clarify.
|

Supporter
HIV is relatively more fragile than say the flu virus, the latter having a lifetime of about 48 hrs. HIV is quite variable, however, as it depends on if the surface it is on still has fluid, especially blood. It has been suggested that HIV can remain for up to 7 hrs.

At any rate, if you are worried you could take a blood test.
|

replied October 31st, 2008
Hi Mame,

Thanks for the reply. Can i take blood test right away? (the incident happened couple of days back).

I will be relieved only after this blood test.

thanks

arun kumar
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2008
Community Volunteer
http://www.avert.org/testing.htm

You can check for additional information on this "all-encompassing" website about the the spread of HIV and blood testing.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
WRONG INFORMATION ON THIS SITE
This is pure nonsense. whoever is writing these responses it not aware of how hiv is spread. hiv is not immortal. it needs a host to survive. the environment is no place for hiv. it dies when exposed to the elements. anyone with half a brain cell knows this. hiv is not spread via razors. end of story.
|

replied December 18th, 2009
Well and good, but in the entire history of the worldwide HIV epidemic, with millions of infected people, there has not been a single case of known or even suspected transmission from a barber's clipper or razor. Beyond the theoretical risk, one would have to assume the barber's preceding customer had HIV; that s/he had a high viral load; that the clippers were contaminated with fresh, wet blood (i.e., I agree with Dr. Bob at TheBody.com); and even then, that enough of that blood were inoculated into a cut to result in infection. It requires lots of the virus to reach the right kinds of cells for infection to take place; contrary to what some people might assume, "just one virus" is not enough to result in transmission. If you think it through, you will realize that the odds are astronomical against such transmission -- which is why it has never been known to occur.
|

replied March 16th, 2010
I think doctor jibbajabba234 is the best. the rest are nonsence
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....