Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Discomfort below ribs

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
For about 4 days or so ive had the oddest feeling in the area just below my ribs. Its not painful, jus strange. Im not sure how to describe it...only thing i can say is its like a really horrible discomfort, like i wanna move as if thats gonna change how it feels to something less irritating. Also a feeling of being constipated, like that pressure you feel when you have gas but constantly. Not all day jus off and on, theres no pain when i press on my stomach or any other area. On my right side below my rib it does feel kind of tender, like a knot but tender closer to my solar plex. Its just annoying and the fact that its persistant for a few days now worries me. Its also feels a little harder to breath when im sitting up, feels better to lean back or lie down. Again this is also an off and on feeling. Im 19 and i smoke.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MandMs

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Abdominal discomfort in the right upper abdominal quadrant, is probably due to liver inflammation, fatty liver or other liver conditions.
When the liver is affected, the pain isn't present, but, feeling of fullness over the liver area or "awareness" of liver.

This can be due to your gallbladder disease if it is severe pain spreading to the back of your shoulder, accompanied with nausea and vomiting.

Ask your physician to get tested for your liver functioning!
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 27th, 2013
Hi my name iS erica fora vey long perod I have pain in rightside upper adominal it feels just below my rib the pain iS very sharp and unberable I went for a scan for liver funcions and it shows inflamation acording to my doctor did usE antibiotics and it didint help it feel like a hard stone and we I press it it feels if it jump can some one let me know any doctors advise
Did you find this post helpful?

replied September 1st, 2009
I also have this
I have the same thing at the moment - have had it for the last 5 daya. Please let me know how you got on???

Did you find this post helpful?

replied February 6th, 2010
discomfort below ribs
I have had this for 5 years! I first noticed it after childbirth and put it down to that. When I did eventually visit my doctors I was offered advice along the lines of 'ignore it, it will probably go away' to 'come back if you start losing weight or being sick'!

I have ignored it for a further 3 years now, having another child in the meantime, but it hasn't improved at all, in fact it is now worse and I do experience some pain with it now too.

I would discribe it as feeling as though something is enlarged and is displacing other things. Its right below my lowest rib on the right hand side. It feels as though my waistband is stuck up behind my ribs. If I lie on my right I feel as though I have to support it.

I have just been back to my GP and they are now sending me for a scan of the abdomen and some blood tests to check liver function.

Hopefully I can at least get to the bottom of what it is. Hopefully the fact that it hasn't killed me in 5 years is a good sign!

Do let me know what your GP says.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied June 20th, 2010
claire what did your GP end up finding? do you have BM issues as well?
Did you find this post helpful?