I found this forum while doing some google searches and it looks like one of the best places to get some feedback on things I can try.

I have been having problems with headaches for years and use Midrin for them with pretty good success. In 2002-2003 I suffered 11 whiplash injuries over 18 months. Since then I've had an almost constant headache. Pain scale of 2 is an awesome day or what I classify as a no headache day to my family.

In Feb I started treatment on my back with a neurologist with spinal injections. They have not started on my neck yet as trying to get optimum results in my lower back first. I've managed with the headaches pretty good until now, when they have changed.

When I stand up I get a "surge" of a headache that can often up the pain level for several hours. When I stand up I also get dizzy and light headed. At times it feels like the room is spinning. I usually grab onto something just to make sure I dont topple over. I can barely hear or loose hearing altogether depending on how much of a "surge" there is. The worst ones bring on nausia but luckily nothing more yet.

I did go to my primary, did blood work and have an MRI scheduled for later this week. My BP is good and I dont drink or smoke. I know its going to be at least a week, maybe 2 before I get any response back and I'm hoping for some relief before that time.

So far the only thing that has helped is taking a combo of meds that almost knock me out and leave me hazey for up to 24 hours.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2009
You may consider consulting with a chiropractor for your neck, headaches and low back. Whiplash is something that chiropractors often treat, with good success. With whiplash the muscles in the front of the neck get strained and can refer pain into the head. It also causes the balance of muscles in the front and back of the neck to become imbalanced, thus leading to a forward head carriage and even more stress on your neck. You may consider gently rubbing the muscles in the front of the neck. Also here is a link to an exercise to try in able to strengthen those muscles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zhRTOPQ9WY
Good luck

Antonio Marotta, D.C.

|

replied June 10th, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. When I first had the injuries in 2002-2003 I saw a chiro for nearly a year and had some temporary success. I do my stretching exercises almost every day and also do the tennis ball trick too.

The MRI came back negative so now I guess its up the neuro to help me get the pain under control.
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.