Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Digestive problems or Colon cancer symptoms?

It been 3 years since I have been dealing with digestive problems. Along the line, I noticed my stool is smaller than before. Most of the time they are skinny, about the size of a thumb, sometimes bigger. Sometimes they are pencil size, sometimes they are ribbon like size. I have had a few fecal blood occult test. Everything came back negative. I have had two CT Scan with contrast on the abdomen and pelvis done and the results are normal. I have had countless bloodwork done because of my digestive problems and everything is fine. Because the size of my stool, i'm afraid of the colon or rectal cancer. Can someone please help? I'm a 29 yrs old male with no family history of colon cancer or any kind of cancer that I know of. I have at least one BM a day, sometimes I feel like I have to go in the evening, but when I go, the only thing i pass is gas. I never had any bright red blood in the stool except for once in a long time when I'm really constipated and stool is really hard. I do get hemorrhoid every now and then. I dont' have any abdominal pain, only once in a while after I eat. Pleaes help, i'm really scare Sad.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
Colorectal cancer is very uncommon among people in their 20s, especially in the absence of a family hsitory of the disease. However, you would have to undergo a colonoscopy to completely rule-out this possibility (as well as to identify the actual cause, or causes, of your symptoms, assuming that cancer is not an issue).

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied May 16th, 2009
Thank you for the reply, I'm very concern because I see a lot of young people on this board have colon cancer. I dont' know if stress/anxiety has anything to do with making the stool skinny. Since I started to get sick, i'm constantly worry about my health, in a way, im a hypochondriac now Sad.
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.