Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

digestive issues: bloating bleeding constipation abdominal pain

I was anorexic & have been in recovery for the last couple years. I have also struggled to recover from bulimia most recently. I have severe pain & bloating in my abdomen & only have 1 bm a week or less. My bms are also always bloody with mucus. I am pretty certain these problems are all related to my ED since they first started after a week of seriously abusing laxatives after being forced to gain weight for recovery. This was 2 years ago & the problems haven't ceased since then. I now eat a balanced & very healthy diet for the most part...although i still have hard days.

I am hoping someone out there can relate to me. I don't know what to do. I was diagnosed with ibs(c) but that didn't do anything to fix my problem. nothing works for me since taking laxatives (to relieve the constipation...dr's recommendation) just messes up my insides even more.

I feel like I am doing everything right, fiber, balanced diet, not skipping meals...I just can't take the constant pain & bloating anymore : (

does anyone have these same problems? what do you do to relieve the pain?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper roxy1234
|

replied April 4th, 2008
Did your doctor do any tests as to why you are still having blood.
With having a eating disorder in the past did you have good support, to help you heal emotionally.

Also getting the correct balance of healthy bacteria back into your system, Ie acidopholus, etc.may help(natural yoghurts)
Are you taking any antacids etc, if so these can upset your digestive chemicals.
fruit or vege Juices may be a little more gentle on your system, as with all foods, try to go for no artificial aditives, they can cause various problems.
(purchasing a homejuicer may be an option-then you know what is in your food)

YOu may be intollerant now to different foods, search the net ie coeliac.

My husband diagnosed ibs, i found having him take flaxseed oil helped dramatically. when he would get stressed the symptoms would start, with the burning, now when ever he gets a slight symptom he swigs a bit of the oil and he comes right. someone explained it once almost like a digestive migrane.

i got on this site lookign for info, have a neice with similar symtoms, been in hospital for a year, 17. She has been through a terrible time, not eating disorder but her body manifested the same symptoms.

i would encourage you keep lookign tillyou find an answer, your body is telling you it needs help, good on you for asking as you have obvioulsy been through alot. keep going.
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied July 11th, 2008
just wanted to follow up on my progress. hopefully this will help someone else with these symptoms.

just like roxy1234 suggested i did develop many food intolerances. mostly those foods & drinks that i over-consumed wile restricting my food intake on other food groups.

in my opinion crystal light is the worst. i suggest anyone who has digestive issues to stay away from it. i have tried even just having a small amount but no matter what i always get horrible cramping & bloating for 1-2 days.

align has saved my life! i rarely experience any pain or bloating & when i do it is quite brief. it's is a healthy bacteria that you can buy online & you don't even need a prescription. i gave some to my dad because he has ibs too & his symptoms improved immediately as well.

feeling good has made life so much better. i can eat & go about my day without having to deal with constant pain. plus i realized how much i love sandwiches even tho i didn't let myself eat them for the last 4 years. it makes the eating disorder voice in my head shut the hell up when i don't have to think about what i'm going to eat for lunch because i know there's a sandwich waiting for me. so i feel great, physically & emotionally & i have sandwiches back in my life Smile i will call that a shining success!

don't give up if you are struggling; you deserve to feel better.
|

replied July 11th, 2008
good on you, well done. im pleased to hear things are improving for you. One thing i have discovered, the very things that have been so difficult and often traumatic often become our strenth, and in time maybe to help others. Its really no fun having to go through the battles, but while their is breath there is hope even in those deep valleys.
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2019
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
If you are losing weight ( more than 10% in 6 months) or becoming anemic then consult gastroenterologist for sigmoidoscopy.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.