Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Difficulty falling asleep

Hi,
I'm in my early 20's, male, no previous record of any health condition and in decent health.

For the last 9 months I've had a strange health problem regarding sleep, specifically falling asleep.

You know when you fall asleep in a car and your head slips and you kind of jerk awake? It's a bit like that. Only I take a large breath too as if I was short on breath. I only get when I'm falling asleep, once I'm asleep I don't wake up (sleep for 7-9 hours normally) and family members have never head any weird breathing or sleep activities. I get it worse when I'm tired, I don't get it every night and I have been to a doctor where I had ecg and blood works and everything came back perfect. I've seen the occasional forum post on this but they're a few years old so was wondering if there is any pointer towards what it is? It doesn't really fit into any category of apnea or anything.

Oh one thing to add- if I get woken up and then go back to sleep I've never experienced it then, suggesting it's some sort of sleep anxiety I guess, what do you think?
Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 29th, 2016
Active User, very eHealthy
Look up hypnic jerks on the internet and see if that gives you any insight. They are considered harmless.

If you're sleeping well and are otherwise healthy, sounds to me like you can just let this go.
|

User Profile
replied February 18th, 2016
Are you using any technology (phones, tablets, TVs, etc) close to your bedtime? Blue Light emitted from your device decrease natural melatonin levels in your band making it more difficult to fall asleep. Blue Light Blockers can be fitted to the smaller devices

Also avoid the following close to bed (Caffeine, Alcohol, Large Meals, Lots of light, Heavy Exercise)
|

replied February 20th, 2016
I used to have the same problem. I go to bed and just lay and lay there. Then I started taking a Benedryl. Then they stopped working so I'd take different sleeping aides. I joined Plexus to start loosing weight and control my blood sugar levels. I started realizing that my sleeping improved. I slept hard now. I haven't had to take any more sleeping pills. Plexus helps with sleep. If you are interested let me know. I can give you more information. Now, I'm loosing weight, have more energy, and sleep all through the night.
|
Quick Reply