Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Different types of surgical treatment for gallstones

User Profile
I am diagnosed with gallstones 5mm in size. all the docs i showed recommeneded for immediate surgery to avoid risk. I would like to knwo since i am losing weight and conrol my diet and avoid fatty meals. I no longer get sever pain attacks later at night like i used to get before when i was 45 lbs over weight and eating junk foods. can i survive like this for the rest of my life without going for suregry-removal of my gall bladder. Pls advice.

secondly, i have been serching lot and read many forums regd removal of glalbladder experience ple has gone thru. Its been very scary and lot of complications,pains etc they still feel after surgery of their gallstones. All that doc told me that keyhole surgery is teh easisest and painfree surgery for Gall stones. everything go well and no pan occur after that. they didnt tell anything about so many complications ..about pain..that may occur. all they tell is good things. i am horrified abt reading what pple go thru and regret now. psl advice.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2010
Gallbladder Disease Answer A12766
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know a little bit more about the surgical treatment of gallstones.

The liver produces bile that eases the metabulism of the lipids in the alimentary canal. The bile is stored in the gallbladder, where the water is absorbed making the bile become a solid substance which forms the gallstones. If gallstones get trapped in the lumen of the common bile duct it may cause reflux of the bile into the pancreatic duct causing acute pancreatitis. If the gallstones stay in the gallbladder, they may cause inflammation of the gallbladder, which may rarely be the cause of cancer of the gallbladder. Therefore, surgeons suggest gallbladder removal. There are two types of surgeries laparotomia (when the abdominal wall is cut in order to reach the gallbladder) and laparoscopic (when optic instruments are inserted in the abdomen through small incisions that leave smaller marks). Usually patients don't experience pain after a laparoscopic gallbladder removal (except on the place of the incisions). If pain in the upper right abdomen is experienced, it may indicate local peritonitis and in that case patients should see an abdominal surgeon.

Given the data that you described, it seems likely that you experience gallstones. You may consider having gallbladder removal. If you experience any additional symptoms such as pain in the upper right abdomen after the surgery, you may want to see an abdominal surgeon.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an abdominal surgeon for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options of gallstones.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.