Medical Questions > Cancer > Lymphoma Forum

different cancers pertaining to lumps/bumps

I am 16 years old and have a very strong family hx of cancers. I have recently noticed I have a lump right below my left ear and has not gone away with any kind of anti biotics the doctor has prescribed. I have become very tired I have noticed and wake up alot threw the night complaining of being very hot. could this possibly be hodkins lymphoma?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
emily_webber,

You say you have a history of cancer in your family. Is it Hodgkin's lymphoma and is it in a first degree relative? If so, then you are at a higher risk for Hodgkin's. It is a cancer of the lymphatic system, usually in young adults. It usually first shows up as a swollen lymph node, or group of nodes, above the diaphram. Other symptoms associated with cancer are extreme weight loss for no reason, night sweats, malaise, fatigue, etc. However, these are very nondescript symptoms and are common in other disorders too. Swollen lymph nodes are extremely common in young adults. And, it is not uncommon for them to get larger when they are palpated frequently.

Since you are so worried, I would suggest you see your physician and discuss your concerns. Explain your family history and symptoms. Sometimes, even a thorough examination is not enough to completely rule out a disorder. But, a doctor has to have a high index of suspicion to start ordering CT scans, MRI, or even a biopsy. But, for your peace of mind, speak with your physician.

Good luck.
|

replied April 8th, 2011
Gaelic

Thank you for your concern and reply i have been to see my physican and all they did was perscribe me anitbiotic and neither of them seem to work. And my family hx of cancers no have not been hodgkins lymphoma more like liver, lung, bone, neroblastoma, that type of stuf. I am really worried because i have noticed im turning very pale its not like me to get this way?
|