My son aged 15 years underwent a Sonography test. The report shows that - Right Kidney measures 5.8 cms x 2.8 cms.
Left Kidney measures 14.2 cms x 5.9 cms. Urinary bladder normal. The ultrasound examination of the abdomen reveals a "small shrunken right kidney with irregular margins. Left kidney appears large secondary to compensatory hypertrophy. No obstructive Uropathy or Urolithiasis seen.

Can there be any future problems ? If so what could occur and how do we prevent it ? Is it due to some existing health problems or defficiencies ?

Your honest response will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Diptesh
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum. I am glad I can help you here.

From the history provided, it seems that your son has kidneys of abnormal sizes demonstrated by the ultrasound. This could as a result of congenital reasons.
Additional tests need to be done to determine the status of functioning of both the kidneys, including a renal MRI and a renal nuclear scan.

The prognosis can be commented on the basis of these investigations. You might benefit by a consultation with your physician or a pediatrician who can guide you in the future.

I hope you find this helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.