My father who is 80 is having trouble with his kidneys as his serum creatinine is 1.6 and blood urea is 80.Should he be put off diet that contains Potassium?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The need to start such a diet, depends on the current clinical status and serum electrolyte levels, as well as the cause for the renal impairment.

You might consult a nephrologist who can determine the cause of your fathers renal problems and then determine the next course of action.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.