Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Diet with chronic kidney disease ?

User Profile
I am an intern doctor.I have completed my MBBS.I want to know that for a patient aged 75years of chronic kidney disease since 1991,what should be her diet according to creatinine level?suppose if she is having creatinine level 4.50mg/l?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2010
Kidney Conditions Answer A12345
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You want to know the diet for a female patient of chronic kidney disease aged 75 years with supposed creatinine of 4.5 mg/dl.
The eGFR for the patient that you have mentioned calculates to 10ml/min/1.73 sq. m and your patient thus falls into stage 5 kidney disease. As far as the diet for your patient goes, recommendations include-
1. Protein restriction early in chronic kidney disease as a means to delay a decline in the GFR is controversial; however, as the patient approaches chronic kidney disease stage 5, this is recommended to delay the onset of uremic symptoms. Patients with chronic kidney disease who already are predisposed to becoming malnourished are at higher risk for malnutrition with overly aggressive protein restriction. Malnutrition is a well-established predictor of increased morbidity and mortality in the ESRD population and must be avoided if possible.
2. Phosphate restriction starting early in chronic kidney disease
3. Potassium restriction
4. Sodium and water restriction as needed to avoid volume overload
You can consult a renal dietician who will guide in devising food plan according to the above recommendations. Your patient will need assistance with medications as well as dialysis if indicated in addition to diet modifications.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.