Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Did I tear the cartilage off? Will ribs ever heal?

User Profile
While I was wrestling, my torso was folded in on itself. I felt a sharp pain in my right ribs, but did not hear a cracking sound. The pain was very strong, but I personally don't think anything was broken. Several months later, there is no pain unless I do crunches (not full sit ups, but just crunches, which mimic the action that originally hurt me). Even then, it's more of a discomfort than a pain. I also feel movement in the area. It's a long strip of something, which I think might be cartilage. The area is about midway between my nipples and belly button. When comparing the area to the left side, I also notice that the left side is smooth, while the right side feels like I can touch the tips of the ribs. Did I tear the cartilage off? Will it ever heal? Is there anything a doctor could even do?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 17th, 2014
(online)
Chest Pain Answer A48328
Thank you for asking
Such encounters might have caused a broken rib or a cartilage. A simple muscle spasm could also be the result of the pain.you should have get some work up to sort out the damage.yes it will heal. It usually heals in a few months and should not be a problem .Take some acetaminophen and muscle relaxants and Get some physiotherapy it will help.seek a doctor nearby for further management.
Visit our health centre for further guidance.
Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.