Medical Questions > Cancer > Pancreatic Cancer Forum

Did any of you have chronic pancreatitis before p.cancer?

User Profile
Just a general survey to ask how many of pancreatic cancer patients were first diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis, or misdiagnosed as chronic pancreatitis beforeyou were told you have pancreatic cancer? Also, what tests were conclusive of a diagnosis of pancreatic cancer? Thanks, this question just intrigues me as I read about a recent study that found a high percentage of chronic pancreatitis patients to have actually had cancer especially within first two years of diagnosis. They are also trying to use a new technique for diagnosis of cancer, which causes the person to have an attack and then the juices released by the pancreas attack are tested for cancer. I think they use a eus, or something similar to take biopsy's. Look forward to your responses Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
Chronic pancreatitis may be associated with malignancy but i want you to know that malignancy is presented with totally different presentation. With weight loss and Obstructive jaundice with all associated complications. PAncreatitis is usually assessed by amylase assays and liver function tests with other ranson criteria like partial oxygen pressures, calcium levels etc. An in Malignancy, CA 19-9 and radiological rprofile like ERCP MRCP and CT scans are used to assess the pancreatitis. When a person gets pancreatitis it is recurrent and not that life threatening unless haemorrhagic one. On the other hand malignancy of pancreas has maximum life span of 6 to 8 months.
I hope it helps
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn pancreas basics here: we review anatomy, how cancer spreads and different types of pancreatic cancer in this short intro....
Do doctors know what causes pancreatic cancer? Here we review causes and risk factors that may increase the likelihood of developing cancer of the pancreas....
Cancer of the pancreas do not usually manifest symptoms in its early stages. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help for pancreatic cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreatic Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.