Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

Diarrhea Constipation Bloating. Contact with animals / Gautemala

My Fiance is a Veterinary assistant.

Dec 10 She left for Guatemala to Spay and Neuter dogs.
Dec 15 She became sick. Nauseated / Throwing up / Diarrhea.
Diarrhea continued (Only Diarrhea). Regular bloating /cramping

Dec 18 She returned from Guatemala
Dec 18-19 . I get sick. My symptoms have mirrored hers, only occurring a few days after hers. (therefore I will only list hers)
Dec 22 Constipation. No bowel movements for 2-3 days.
Reasonably normal bowel movements
Dec 28 Frequent Diarrhea.

Things to note:

I became sick very soon (If not prior) to her arriving home. Either symptoms develop very quickly or over a period of time of several weeks. (I felt the trip was important to mention in case something could develop that quickly, although I am guessing it was transmitted prior to the trip)

I have an office job, and based on the time frames of getting sick, I presume this can be transmitted between individuals in close contact.

Neither of us had any negative indications on blood work or stool samples tested. Either it doesn't come up on these tests, or false negatives are very common.

We haven't had a fever or otherwise felt sick other than the bloating.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum

Based on the history, it seems that you and your fiancée have had a bout of food poisoning resulting in severe dehydration.

Now the bloating is due to slowed bowel peristalysis resulting in collection of gas in the intestines. This is transient and will pass off in a few days.

Post infectious diarrhea, it is common to have symptoms as yours as the enzymes situated on the mucosal surface that metabolise simple sugars are washed away by the diarhea and it takes time for the intestines to recover. In the mean time the bacteria in the intestines ferment the sugars anaerobically to produce lots of gas.

This is a benign condition and will subside soon.

Rest and replenishment of electrolytes via adequate fluids may help the symptoms subside.

Probiotic medications will help in the gut recovery.

Persistant diarrhea may require you to take imodium for a day or two.

You might also consider to consult your physician if your symptoms remain or worsen.

I hope this helps

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.