User Profile
hi,
I've been meeting up w/ ppl from craigslist through casual encounters, dating, etc. and usually end up giving a hj. I've met up with over 10 people before (don't judge me). I've thought you can get hiv by a hj but i am worried.
You know those small pieces of skin near your fingernails, well I have a bad habit of cutting them off with a nail clipper every day or few days and then it bleeds. and i had scraped the joint on one of my fingers and it was a bit red for week. like it was still a new cut and when i wash it, it would sting. when i give the hj, the sperm would release directly over my cuts sometimes where it was just freshly bleeding. what are my chances of being infected?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 11th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A10586
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether you are at risk of being infected with HIV.

HIV is a human immune deficiency virus that causes weakening of the human immune system leading to a condition called AIDS, which is characterized with opportunistic infections and certain types of cancer. The virus can be found in blood, semen, vaginal fluid, pre-ejaculate, or breast milk in infected individuals. The four ways of transmission are unsafe sex, contaminated needles, breast milk, and transmission from an infected mother to her baby at birth (vertical transmission).

Given the data that you described, you may or may not be infected with HIV. You may want to have diagnostic tests for HIV such as enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA), Western blot, PCR (polymerase chain reaction) or an immunofluorescence assay (IFA). These tests can be done a few weeks after the suspicious event with a control test three months later, because the human body produces antibodies against HIV within 2 to 12 weeks after the suspicious event.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis of possible HIV infection.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.