User Profile
I will explain my story first, i was on vacation in bali, indonesia in september 2009.. i had very brief, drunken unprotected sex with a prostitute... yes, it's insane.

Anyway, i didn't think about it all too much until recently when i began having relations with a new girl that i really like. I thought and thought about it, and for mine and her sake i wanted to get tested just to be sure.
The more i read online the more paranoid i became, especially when i googled 'HIV in bali'.. which came back with alarming results.

So it has been 5 months since this occurance, and my blood results were returned today all negative, thankfully.
Chlamydia, gonnorhea, hep c etc and HIV were all negative.
So i am completely relieved, BUT there is still a lingering doubt because some of the information i have read states that it takes at least six months to know for certain, and in rare cases, sometimes longer.
Ultimately, i would like to believe that being tested after the 3 month period

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2010
HIV and AIDS Answer A9952
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know whether you are at risk of being infected with HIV although you received a negative HIV test 5 months and a week after the suspicious event.

HIV causes weakening of the immune system by affecting the T helper lymphocytes leading to a condition called AIDS, which is characterized with opportunistic infections and certain kinds of cancers.

According to the data that you described, you believe that you still might be at risk of developing HIV infection. Usually the time that the human body needs to develop antibodies against HIV is from two to twelve weeks( which means three months maximum). In rare occasions the body may develop antibodies within six months. Since you had your tests done 5 months after the event (and they were negative) the risk of being infected is small, but you still may consider consulting an infectologist about whether it is required to take the tests again. However, you may consider having protected intercourse not only to prevent yourself from HIV transmission, but from all the other sexually transmitted diseases.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis of HIV infection.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.