Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Diagnosis of anal lump

User Profile
could this lump at my anus opening be cancer???

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2008
Colon Cancer Answer A4828
You wrote:”List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: constipation
Current medical status: i have a small b.b. sized knot on the outside of my anus. i have always had constipation. a very small hemroid has been present since my first child was born. this small lump feels like it has a line extending into the anal canal. (prob the size of dental floss but very stiff feeling) it is very hard. it does not hurt and i have squeezed it and nothing happens. my stools are very thin.
Question: could this lump at my anus opening be cancer???”

Given the data you provided (previous haemorrhoid, the “lump” does not hurt when squeezed), it seems likely that you might be experiencing a lump created from connected tissue after a healed anal fissure. An anal fissure is unnatural crack or tear in the anal skin. Anal fissures are common in women after childbirth. They can co-exist with hemorrhoids and give the same symptoms (bright red rectal bleeding, severe pain after defecation). Malignancy cannot be excluded without further examination.

You might want to consult with a proctologist who will determine the correct diagnosis and exclude the possibility of cancer. Meanwhile, you might try sitz baths (a type of bath in which only the hips and buttocks are soaked in water or saline solution), to help with the hemorrhoids. A diet rich in fibres, prunes and soup with every main meal might also be helpful with the constipation.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Colon Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.