Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Diagnosing chronic appendicitis

Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
User Profile
Is it possible to have chronic appendicitis without some of the classic symptoms? I have had pain in my right side for about 8 months now, 18 months after gallbladder surgery. My GP suspects chronic appendicitis but having read in depth on the internet at various symptoms, the classic symptom appears to be rebound pain. I have terrible pain when pressed on the right side, but no rebound pain. My condition felt worse this morning too, after I emptied my bladder. This happened twice and really hurt afterwards when I stood up. Is this another symptom or coincidental? I sometimes have nausea and diarrhoea but not commonly. Don't think i'm a classic example of someone with chronic appendicitis, but something is wrong. I am having appendicectomy in five weeks to see if this is the cause. My GP thinks its this but my consultant doesn't believe in such a condition as chronic appendicitis.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 26th, 2010
Appendix and Appendicitis Answer A11547

Thanks for the query. Chronic appendicitis is one of the rarer conditions and there are chances of it being not diagnosed as the classical signs and symptoms are not evident. It remains silent with episodes on and off. But with the help of imaging techniques like an abdominal ultrasound supported with blood investigations and a clinical picture, one may be able to make the diagnosis. It should be treated on a priority basis if confirmed, as it can lead to complications affecting the surrounding intestines.

So for now, you should consult a surgical gastroenterologist and get it confirmed.

Wish you the best of health.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.