Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Diagnosing and treating panic attacks

User Profile
HI,

Was just wondering if i am a Diabetic, my symptoms are: Tingling in my hands and feet, dizzyness,my eye sight goes funny,my heart races,times i feel like i am not real and i am alway on edge, and ringing in my ears and like i am fulling over. I did go to the doctor and i got told it was panic attacks, at the time the doctor took my blood sugar reading it was 8.2 witch is high but he never seemed worried about it, i do have diabetes in my family. And also when i excisize i get very dizzy and it feels like i am falling over all the time so i tence up my body!

I am eating a low gi diet, i dont have any sugar for years now and i am taking manna natural tablets.

Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2010
Anxiety and Stress Answer A10781

According to the data you provided (tingling in hands and feet, dizziness, eye sight goes funny, heart races, blood sugar reading was 8.2), you might have experienced panic attacks.

Panic attacks are associated with the following symptoms: palpitations (accelerated heart rate), sensations of shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, sweating, trembling or shaking and chest pain.

All these symptoms might be frightening and might induce increased production of blood sugar which would explain the blood sugar reading (8.2). However, there is a possibility that the increased blood sugar is a separate condition and that you actually have diabetes.

You might want to visit your family doctor or an endocrinologist to check your blood sugar for diabetes. You might also want to visit a psychiatrist for longer periodic observation and evaluation to check for panic attacks. Cognitive behavioural therapy is known to be helpful for panic attacks. Medications that are used in treating panic attacks include: antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.