Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

Diagnosing and treating extreme pain behind the left eye

User Profile
Any suggestions or possible diagnosis.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 2nd, 2009
Headache and Migraines Answer A5612

List of other diseases, conditions, or injuries and their treatment: Prior 2 year Herion Smoking Addiction is my reason for being a Current Methadone Maintainence Patient 7o mg per day dose step 6 level as per 2 years of clean testing. Also, my nose has been broken since I was a child with the left nostril being the semi-collapsed side.
Have a diagnosis for the current condition: no
Current medical status: EXTREME Pain behind the left eye, Pain on the sides of my head intensifying when I lean over. On a pain scale of 1 to 10 9 when I lean over.
Current medical treatment: None, I thought it was a sinus infection so I was taking decongestant to clear my head.

Given your description of extreme pain behind the left eye and side head pain with an intensity of 9 on a scale of 0-10, it seems you might be experiencing what you suspected: acute sinusitis (inflammation of the lining of the paranasal sinuses). Specifically, head pain, intensifying when you lean over is a characteristic sign of sinusitis and it often happens after predisposition (obstruction of nasal and paranasal paths, provoked by nose trauma, etc.). However, decongestants are not enough to relieve a bacterial type of sinusitis. It is recommended to visit your family doctor, who might do a head X-ray, common blood tests and a nasal swab (if needed), to confirm or exclude possible conditions and add an antibiotic to treatment, if necessary (no penicillin and no cephalosporines). Moreover, as other possibilities: tension headaches, cluster headaches, and atypical migraines might cause pain around and behind the eyes. Optic neuritis, as well, is one thing that can cause pain, but it's very unlikely to be that if your vision is unaffected. After the physical examination done by your family doctor, if s/he suspects something of the above mentioned, you might be referred to a neurologist, who will prescribe an adequate etiological treatment (against the cause) as well as symptomatic treatment (for the pain).

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The eyes are the doors to the soul...but what types of eye or vision problems to people typically experience? Basic eye anatomy and info on eye problems here....
Only an Ophthalmologist can diagnose eye disease, but you can learn to identify the signs and symptoms of eye disease. We outline common symptoms here....
What specialist should you visit for eye problems? Learn how doctors test eye movements, health and general vision in this diagnostic overview....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.