Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Diagnosing and treating an inguinal hernia

User Profile
My right testicle is usually up in groin area instead of being in the sac with the other testicle, up till now i had no pain or anything, but now my right testicle hurts when i cough or sneeze and usually after eating if i lift even a chair my lower abdomen hurts. my right testicle seems to be in constant state of movement growing and shrinking kindly advise what i should do and which doctor should i see? a urologist?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2009
Hernia Answer A6386

According to the information you provided, you might be experiencing an inguinal hernia. A hernia is a condition in which part of the intestine protrudes out of the abdominal cavity due to weak points in the abdominal wall.

In your case, the hernia might not be big enough for you to notice it, but can still be present. Pushing the intestines out when the pressure in the abdominal cavity increases (coughing, sneezing, lifting weight) is one of the typical signs of a hernia.

You might want to check with an abdominal surgeon to confirm the condition.

A inguinal hernia is treated completely only with surgery. Meanwhile, avoid lifting weight. If the intestine incarcerates, then the blood flow in the intestines might become insufficient and immediate surgery would be needed. The signs of incarceration include intense pain on the location of the hernia, inability to push the hernia back and/or livid color (as in a bruise) on the skin over the hernia.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.