User Profile
Hello out there. In addition to Chromium gtf, cinnamon, and several of the b complex vitamins, I have heard that the mineral magnesium does wonders to control blood sugar. I always like a calcium/ magnesium/ zinc supplement as a healthy sleep aid and immune builder. Has anyone else heard about the effects of magnesium on diabetes control?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Magnesium plays many crucial roles, including the following:

Maintaining nerve and muscle function
Regulating heartbeat
Keeping bones healthy
Supporting the immune system
Regulating blood pressure
Regulating blood glucose levels
Helping with metabolism and protein synthesis

It may therefore, be advisable for any person with diabetes or a family history of the disease to take the at least 500 mg of magnesium and 10 mg of B6 daily.

Magnesium is widely distributed in foods. It forms part of the chlorophyll in green leaves. Other good sources of this mineral are nuts, Soya bean, alfalfa, apple, fig, lemon, peach, almond, whole grains, brown rice, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.

|
Users who thank DEEPAK ANVEKAR for this post: KristaBurke01 

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2013
Experienced User
Magnesium is widely found in foods, but at low levels. Most women are deficient and about half of men are. Your chances of being deficient go up with the more processed foods you eat.

Also, if you are taking a calcium/magnesium supplement combined, you are not getting anywhere near the amount of magnesium you think. Our bodies absorb calcium and magnesium in the same place and prefer calcium. Tests show people who take this kind of supplement excrete most of the magnesium, rather than absorb it.

Most people I know take 250mg Mg supplement 3-4 times a day, but only under the care of a doctor.
|

replied May 6th, 2014
Experienced User
Thanks Deepak Anvekar
|

replied December 25th, 2014
Magnesium is the most abundant mineral in your body. If you don't have enough of it, your body simply cannot function at its best. Insufficient cellular magnesium levels set the stage for deterioration of proper metabolic function that typically snowballs into more significant health problems.
|

replied November 16th, 2015
I am a secondary school student. Our health club is leading an exposition rivalry on diabetes on world diabetes day .They report the theme as “Diabetic Diet regimen ". I heard that by 2040, more than 640 million of us may be living with diabetes. I have little knowledge about this topic, my friend take help from admission essay writing service. My uncle suggested that forum is the best way to get quick reply to the questions. Please help me to write this essay.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied February 2nd, 2016
Diabetes is a condition with high blood sugar level. Magnesium is found to be effective in lowering the level of Diabetes. There are different types of Diabetes namely Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational diabetes. The person with this disorder has low level of insulin or no insulin. Magnesium lowers the level of Type 2 Diabetes. Besides this the element plays many other roles like digestion of proteins, fats. In the synthesis of DNA and RNA. Its deficiency leads to serious heart issues and other problems. It is recommended to have 500-1,000 mg of magnesium daily. Consume lots of fresh dark green vegetables. Either you can have this green vegetable in the form of juices.
|

replied June 14th, 2016
Active User, very eHealthy
This is interesting, and helpful i think.
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.