Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Diabetic Alcoholic Uses Insulin to Balance Out Binges

My father is 64 and a severe alcoholic. 4 years ago he was diagnosed as a diabetic. For the first 2 years he drank and was often incoherent, weird and slurred.

Now he's on insulin and he's figured out how to balance insulin with alcohol. Most of the time it seems sort of to work. He still gets drunk, rambles, and talks about odd things, but he's somewhat coherent, and sometimes he's almost normal/sober. Once in a while he messes up and he slurs badly and is delusional, but not too often.

I know this is going to kill him. He's 64, abt 295, 6ft, smokes 2 packs a day, has high blood pressure. His liver enzymes he says aren't too bad.

But how long can he do this? I read one study that said after 4.4 years only 26% of the alcoholics who still drank where alive 4.4 years later, and of those who died, half died suddenly.

He does get medical attention from the VA, but only goes when something is really bad. He was on Anabuse for a while and did the same thing: learned how much anabuse he could take and how much he could drive while only getting an acceptable amount of sick. That was about 10 years ago.

He'll never stop drinking, he'll never stop being a diabetic, it won't end well. But how much time does he have left would you think?

There's very little info on this, just that one study. I was hoping someone with experience would know more.

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 4th, 2014
Forgot to Add
Forgot to add: ten years ago he would go into DTs if he didn't drink. Just added as a gauge of how severe his drinking is.
|

replied July 16th, 2014
No comments?
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Average life expectancy of such patients is
7-15 years. It all depends upon glycemic control and early management of complications.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.