User Profile
Can a type 2 diabetic take Alpha lipoic Acid 300mg tablets daily for painful diabetic neuropathy in feet?

Can my diabetic mom take 300mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid supplements daily if she suffers from severe diabetic neuropathy pain in her feet and is on daily medication like:

For Diabetes:
metformin 500 mg
glimipiride 1000 mg

For High BP:
Teneligliptin 20mg

I have ordered ALA 300 mg tablets after researching some medical studies that i might be helpful in reducing nephropathy pain. But I'm very afraid that it might make her Blood Sugar level too low as she cant stop the Anti-diabetes medication for even a single day.Can she get faint or go to the hospital?

Also, she takes:
Magnesium Citrate
Mutivitamins
Coenzyme Q10 100mg daily(for heart health)
Ayurvedic Herbs

can she take ALA 300 mg daily without any major issue?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2018
Diabetes Answer A63954
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

There is no conclusive evidence to prove that Alpha lipoic acid is useful in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy. However it is a supplement and can be taken with the medications you enlisted.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.