User Profile
I would like to ask a question about my diet. I'm 17 years old type 1 diabetic (My weight is 168lbs and height is 6.1 feet). I plan to start to workout and build some muscle. I've searched for information on the internet, what should I eat and i made myself a meal plan. But now I doubt that this meal plan is good for me.
Eating by this meal plan my macronutrients would be like this: 3035 Calories | 83g Fat | 400g Carbohydrates | 172.5g Protein.

On the internet i found that I need about 1g of protein for every pound of my weight, then I found out that about 170g of protein might be too much for a diabetic. Anyway, I still couldn't find the right answer to this question. Also I'm planning do reduce my carbohydrate intake (and also calorie intake a bit). So what I want to ask you is how much protein can I consume, how many grams would be too many for me? Is there a difference in consuming protein when you have diabetes? Also by how many grans should I lower my carbohydrate intake?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2016
Diabetes Answer A58624
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Reduce your carbohydrates intake, rest is fine. Daily recommended intake is 70 gm protein and 170 sith strenuous work out is alright. Fats of 400 g are acceptable only if you can consume them all other wise keep it to minimum as well.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Diabetes, Diet
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.