Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Diabetes and taking supplements ?

User Profile
My Mom is Type 2 Diabetic and has Hypertension. Can she take Supplements?

My Mom has type 2 Diabetes from over a decade. Also, she is patient of high blood pressure. She is on blood sugar medications like Metformin, Glimipride and Telmisartan, Amlodipine, etc other tablets for High BP Daily.
Now, she has many complications of Diabetes including Diabetes Neuropathy, eyes issues like cataracts, osteoarthritis etc. She also has complications in her back/spine.
She is lacto vegetarian. 63 yr old.
Now, her doctor has not recommended any special multivitamin apart from diabetic diet. Now, my question is that can she take the following supplements on her own:-

Vitamin C
Vitamin D3 1000iu
Vitamin E
Omega 369 fish oil 1200mg mg complex capsules
Coenzyme Q10 30ng
Magnesium complex 375mg
Vitamin B12 400ug
Lutein 20mg

If she takes all these daily than can this harm her diabetes in any way?

Thanks!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2017
Diabetes Answer A62518
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Yes these are multivitamins and are all part of the supportive care for such morbid patients with multiple co morbidities.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.