Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

dextro seems ineffective now

My dextroamphetamine tablets I take (10-40 mg) seems to not work very well. I try "drug holidays" but those don't seem to be helpful as I need an extended period of time off the meds to have any cessation of the medicine to be helpful. I can't come off dextro tabs without significant withdrawal unless I do a taper. Is this okay to do with stimulants? I know that I have my doctor's approval in doing this, but even though he says I can just stop taking it, I would highly prefer to taper off and then go a while without the medicine, if I am to stop taking it at all. The day or two off thing isn't working, and the withdrawal is significant unless I taper. What can I do? How would I go about a dextroamp. tablets taper if I take 40 mg a day currently? Please help, I'm suffering from ADHD greatly but have not had any time off dextroamp. tablets since mid January, and it is currently May.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 8th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Usually drug holidays are advised on weekend and holidays. Tapering can be tried if withdrawal is problematic abrubtly. However not tapering don't cause side effects.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.