User Profile
I have a deviated sternum, and was wondering if it could possibly reduce my lung capacity or cause any other complications? I haven't been able to find much information about this deformity on the web and would really appreciate any insight that you could give me. Also is there any type of corrective surgery available and what types of risks would be involved?

sorry if this was posted in the wrong section

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 8th, 2008
Genetic Disorders Answer A4075
There are 2 major sternum deviations: a sternum deviated toward the inside (pectus excavatum) and a sternum deviated toward the outside (pectus carinatum). Both conditions can have a negative impact on lung function (reduced capacity, asthma symptoms…) and heart function (mitral valve prolapse) depending upon the severity. These conditions can also have a negative psychosocial effect because of the cosmetic appearance.
Pectus excavatum is treated surgically and pectus carinatum can be treated surgically or by wearing an external brace.

You may want to consult a thoracic surgeon about this.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Genetic Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.