First the sequence of events

10-12 yr- Pain left flank

Diagnosed kidney (or I think ureteral) stone

Lithotripsy done

23 yr- No symptoms until now

Shrunken and scarred kidney on USG

GFR 67- CKD stage 2

How the hell did this happen????
and what should I do now to improve my health and prevent any further damage??

And one more problem is that I nowadays,(after knowing that I have CKD) have started having flank pain on both sides, which my doctor says is nothing as all the other investigations are normal. so any ideas to differentiate this 'psychological pain ' from real one????
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health forum.

From the history provided it seems that in addition to urinary stone disease you might have had a undiagnosed progressive medical renal disease which has lead to chronic kidney diseases along with renal scarring.

For the way ahead, you need to get screened for conditions like hypertension, diabetes, etc which are major causes of medical renal disease.

Regular monitoring of kidney functions will help to monitor the progression of the CKD or development of complications.

In addition medications like ACE inhibitors and ACE receptor antagonists can be prescribed by your doctor to prevent progression of CKD, and also prolong the life.

I hope this is helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.