Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Determining the cause of chronic kidney disease

User Profile
I am an otherwise healthy 44 year-old male. I just saw a nephrologist who is sending me for testing with a preliminary diagnosis of CKD stage 3. I brought to him my blood test results over a 15 year period. My creatine level varied from 1.4 to 1.8 over the years. My queation is does this always progress to stage 4, and 5, or can treatment, and diet stop it in it's tracks?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2009
Kidney Conditions Answer A6587

It seems likely that it would be most important to determine what the reason was for the chronic kidney disease in the first place. Most common causes include: diabetic nephropathy, hypertension, and glomerulonephritis. Certain of these causes are long lasting and can damage the kidney continuously as in diabetic nephropathy and hypertension. Others such as glomerulonephritis damage the kidney for one brief period and the lesions of the kidney are life lasting.

The prognosis of the chronic kidney disease is best predicted by the degree of proteinuria (proteins in the urine). Patients with nephritic-range proteinuria (>3g/24h or urine protein/creatinine>3) usually have a poorer prognosis and progress to renal failure more rapidly. Hypertension is associated with more rapid progression as well.

Please note that if the causes for the primary renal damage were only temporary, then it might take a longer period for the disease to progress. Regular checkups with a nephrologist are highly recommended.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.