Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

Determining a swollen spleen

User Profile
I had an ultrasound in March 2007 and my spleen was 15cm and then another scan in Sept. 2007 and it was 14cm. I still have the same pain in my left shoulder blade and rib cage that i had back in 2007, but two weeks ago i had another ultrasound which showed my spleen was 13.5cm. My Doctor told me this was normal? Is it normal or is my spleen still swollen?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2009
Spleen Answer A5704
Diagnosis that has been suggested: I was told my spleen was swollen because of all the infections i have had over the last 12 years. Recently i was told my spleen is now normal 13.5cm in length.
Current medical status: CFS, high blood pressure, recurring infections (throat, eyes, ears and chest), low white blood cell count, fatigue, weakness, joint pain, muscle cramps/ spasms, swollen armpits, headaches and occasional dizziness.
Current medical treatment: 1 x Co-Diovan 160mg/12.5mg for bp daily, Lyrica 75mg x 3 daily for pain in left shoulder blade and front left rib cage, Keral 25mg x 3 daily for same pain, Dona Glucosamine powder x 1 for joint pain, Just finished taking pencillin for throat infection.

The dimensions of the spleen are: length 11 cm, width 7 cm, thickness 5 cm. According to the dimensions you reported your spleen might still be swollen. However, the density of the spleen tissue is visible in ultrasonography. When a tissue is swollen, it contains more fluid than usual and the density is decreased. This condition is visible when examined with ultrasonography. You might want to look for a second opinion.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Spleen , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.