User Profile
Is the hyper thyroid become hyper active after meal or is always hyper active? Is it possible to be just a virus infection that is causing the overactive thyroid and the condition will be gone after the body win over the infection? Why it happens only after eating?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2008
High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Answer A5048

Current medical status: In the last few monts I had 4 cases when my BP increased about 10 minute after I eat lunch. From Normal to 150/95. then slowly after few hours went to normal. For the last 3 years i have been eating only the right food and exsersizing 30 to 60 min every day. I have been eating salads and chicken and fish , no pork or beef. My wife is cooking whitout salt, and I'm very strict on eating low sodium food. The salt I replaced with hot peppers. And No problems for the last tree years. And suddenly high blood pressure. In the last 3 monts i had 3 blood tests. fist test total cholesterol 246/HDL 55/VLDL 20/LDL 171 ; TSH 0.146 after 1 month second test total cholesterol 189/HDL 52/VLDL 15/LDL 122 ; after 3 monts Last test total cholesterol 241/HDL 54/VLDL 18/LDL 169 ; TSH 0.302 And because one of the rises of bp after eating was 170/100 my doctor put me toprol 50mg. and he want to test the thyroid levels. While waiting for the lab order to come in the mail I start searching the net for answers. I suspect Hyperthyroid. I start looking about the iodine i take with the food , and I remember that all the cases of high BP are day after I had a fish for diner or lunch. So I don't know the answer. Is the hyper thiroid become hyper active after meal or is always hyper active? Maybe something else is trigering this HBP. I'm afraid to eat. I cant eat the bad food, the good food is not good anymore for me. I just hope that this is something temporary. Also often last month I have nasal congestions and I'm using afrin.
Current medical treatment: toprol 50mg a day

Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland is overactive. The increased levels of triiodothyronine (T3) can lead to increased blood viscosity due to increased levels of blood proteins. The increased blood viscosity may cause high blood pressure. There is no data about how much the viscosity is expected to elevate the blood pressure. So, other causes for high blood pressure can not be excluded without further examination.

The hyperthyroidism is not related to the meal and the problems with the high blood pressure can be expected any time in the day.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid problems...plus know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our High Blood Pressure and Hypertension , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.