Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Details of atrial fibrillation

User Profile
Hello. I have a medical mystery that I have yet to find a doctor who can help in spite of their best efforts. I have Atrial Fib and take medication (warfarin and sotalol). I am generally fit and walk etc with confidence. However when I walk about two blocks I have significant chest pain around the heart. As soon as I stop; within 20 seconds the pain is gone completely. Start walking again - two blocks later same thing. Pause 20 seconds - pain gone. I have had extensive heart analysis and my heart is generally excellent and no angina. I have been assured (by my cardiologist) that although the pain mimics a heart attack - there is nothing wrong. I would like to to know if there is anyone else experiencing this strange phenomena. My doctors are as puzzled by this as am I.

thank you for your time.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2010
Chest Pain Answer A11429
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Atrial fibrillation is condition when both of the atria contract in rhythm faster than one of the ventricles. This condition may be asymptomatic, but may be also presented with certain symptoms such as palpitations, chest pain (or angina pectoris-like symptoms), shortness of breath and edema. When individuals who experience atrial fibrillation exert themselves, the frequency of the contractions of the atria increases despite the medical treatment. This may cause shortness of blood supply in the heart muscle and may provoke ischemia of the heart tissue which is presented as chest pain. Ischemia doesn't mean a heart attack (in a heart attack the muscle cells are completely dead and fibrous tissue is formed in their place).

Given the data that you describe, you may be experiencing atrial fibrillation. You may consider walking slowly and avoiding any greater physical activity such as exercising to prevent increase of the heart frequency. See a cardiologist for further advice.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options of your current condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What happens during atrial fibrillation? Learn basic facts about the heart and what types of irregular heart rhythm problems doctors commonly diagnose here....
What can trigger a case of atrial fibrillation? And how can you avoid risks of developing problems with the heart? More here....
When are symptoms of atrial fibrillation serious? Know what complications can develop and when to seek medical help for this common heart condition....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.