Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Destined to be alone/invisible forever

I'm currently a freshman at university and an 18. I feel so invisible here. I remember in high school I had bad depression, but figured that it would be better in college because I would be surrounded by older and more intelligent people. I'm just as miserable here, if not more. I only have like 1 or 2 friends. I thought I would be going on dates and meeting guys, but I'm not even close. I'm still a virgin and have never had a boyfriend. The only person I have ever kissed was when I was like 8. I have been incredible lonely all my life. I'm shy, but have tried putting myself out there. One of my old friends from high school would attract more guys than she could count but would do no more than me. When I go to parties it seems like I'm invisible. My friend tells me I could get guys at parties, but I don't want to attract guys who are only interested in me for a minute because their drunk. I actually want to develop a meaningful relationship. I've been told I'm beautiful, but when it comes to attracting guys, I feel anything but. I try getting one guys attention in one of my lectures, but it seems that he looks at everything but me. It's like I'm a ghost. I'm there but I can never feel or have what others do. I just thought by now I would be closer to meeting people and a potential partner, but it feels as if that will never happen. I feel like this is my time to do that, but I'm missing out. Sometimes I'm convinced that I'm destined to be alone for the rest of my life. I hate looking at horoscopes because when I see the "Love" section, it reminds me that that entire aspect of life doesn't apply to me, probably never will. I have to write lists of reasons not to kill myself.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 12th, 2012
Hey I am in the same boat as you. I'm 29 and still waiting for the one. Never had a girlfriend (Getting close to be the sequel to "40 year old virgin" LOL Smile But I do not let that bother me. The key to happiness is to live your life the way you want to live it. It looks as if you are comparing your life to other friends and people around you. You should just be yourself, at that age I would think getting through college and setting yourself up for a good career is more important than guys. Trust me being a guy, at that age 90% of those guys are looking for sexual relationships and not affectionate relationships. You have your whole life to meet that special someone.

Have you ever tried to ask a guy out? Sometimes if you wait for love, love will keep you waiting. If you are looking for a relationship, go and ask a couple guys out. Ask them to a movie, a bite to eat, a night over at your place to watch a movie, trip to the mall. Its not the end of the world and definitely no reason end your life.

Feel free to write or if you need someone to talk to. You have your whole life ahead of you yet. No need to worry Smile
|

replied November 15th, 2012
You are really young, you have time. Don't let it bother too much and as Smokie said, don't compare yourself to others. You need to do things your own way. A lot of people are shy so don't think about it being a problem. You are not invisible, it's just guys don't know what to look for. Some people might say you need to be aggressive in order to "catch the prey". It's not like that. Those kind of relationships might not work out, it's something temporary. I guess you want something to last. Those kind of relationships take time to bloom. Be yourself, have a bit more confidence in yourself, smile more. The very first steps to happiness. Do what you usually do, people need to appreciate you for who you are, you don't need to force yourself doing something you don't like.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....