Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

description of autism

hi there, i was wondering if anyone here can help me. ive just accepted a job in supporting children and adults with disabilities in the community and i am just doing a bit of research before i start. can someone please give me a run down on what autisum is exactly and what children with it enjoy doing. i would like to hear from someone who has a child with autisum instead of reading medical terms.
thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
That would be pretty hard to do! Children with autism come with a variety of personalities, abilities, interests, etc.

The most obvious thing you'll notice is the lack of social skills, most likely. It will take some time for you to learn to communicate and understand the person you are caring for and get to know them well. You will get to understand what they like, how they prefer to communicate, etc as time goes by.

Other things you'll tackle might be other impairments that sometimes come along with autism, such as down's, cerebral palsy, retardation, etc. But not all children or adults with autism have these other conditions.
|

User Profile
replied June 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
yes it effects different people differently---and some children have other behavioral issues with this than others. its really hard to find one that has all in common.
|

replied July 11th, 2008
Try cafemom.com and search autism there you will find an abundence of mothers with all areas of the spec and they would be greatful for you and you're work and so I am sure they would be happy to share some insight!!!!!! You must be a very strong person and the people you are working with are very lucky that you care about treating/helping/teaching them!!!!!
|

replied November 13th, 2010
I am a mother with four Autistic children. Each one has different issues ranging from anger management, shutting down, hyperactivity and isolation. All of them do have one thing in common, poor social skills. The best thing for that is teaching them proper communication and trying to get them involved in activities involving other children their ages.
Contrary to popular belief, most Autistic children are not mentally challenged. All of mine are straight A students in regular or advanced education classes. While children with Autism may appear to have learning disabilities, the problem isn't intelligence but rather how they learn. Their thinking may be completely backwards from most people but each one has their own unique way of learning and retaining the information. Also, most people with Autism have one area they particularly excell at. Some common areas they excell at are music, art, math and science.
|
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...