Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Depression & relationships

Hello,

I am a 28 year old female. I have had depression on and off from my late teens onwards. It comes and go, and is often triggered around stress and my period cycle. However, I am starting to see a pattern of my depression and relationships. I seem to be very happy and depression free at the start of the new relationship. As soon as things get more serious I become needy, depressed, and lose myself. I recently moved in with my partner and things have gone progressively down hill. I find my tolerance level has gone out the window. I am overly sensitive to small things and actions of my partner. I also seem to almost have "tantrums", where I cry and scream in emotional pain. It is almost like a a tantrum a little kid would throw. The few days following these events, I spend trying to pick up the pieces of my broken relationship. My partner is hurt and feels attacked. I feel embarrassed and disappointed I have made such a mess of my relationship. Slowly things rebuild and its almost like it never happened. Then usually a few weeks later my period will be on its way, my partner does not say something quite right, and then we re enter the cycle. I am eager to break this cycle, but I just don't know how. I am on 10mg of celexia and extremely active. I play sports 2-3 times a week, eat healthy, and have 1-2 alcohol beverages a week. I am feeling a bit hopeless and I am sad to watch myself destroy another relationship. I have recently moved to another country to be with the partner, so I am feeling a bit more isolated than usual. I have written to a local councilor to set up a appointment, but was hoping I could get some more feedback here.

Disappointed in myself, but hopeful on a good day!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 13th, 2011
There are ways to overcome depression but we are all different and must search for what seems to best work for us. I think you are wise keeping in touch with your doctors. This shows you are really trying and not giving up on yourself.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....