User Profile
Psychotherapy has been helping my depression some but I'm uncertain if I will be okay if I stop therapy? I don't want to jeopardize myself feeling better, but I'm also a very anxiety-driven person who will worry about anything I do. The last few times I stopped therapy I felt fine for 1-2 weeks, but my depression symptoms gradually relapsed and before I knew it I was abusing prescription drugs and wanting to drink alcohol to solve my problems.

I want to be a healthier man and not rely on using alcohol or prescription drugs as my sole means of feeling better.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2018
Depression Answer A64414
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Psychotherapy or behavioral sessions do help in controlling the symptoms. If you are feeling better, discuss with your doctor about slowly weaning you off the prescription drugs instead of stopping them completely at once. This will help to prevent relapse of symptoms. Avoid alcohol use. Discuss your symptoms and apprehensive feelings with your doctor, he/she would help you to understand your symptoms better and also help you to calm down the anxiety levels. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.