User Profile
Is it possible to experience depression with the use of ADHD medication? I find myself feeling more down than usual and have increased irritability as well as lower appetite. I have been struggling with depression for around 3 years to the extent I have now. I don't feel the seasons or weather improve it much, but the winter season definitely makes me feel worse. The majority of what I notice is anhedonia and not feeling much pleasure from daily tasks and activities. This has remained true regardless of being on ADHD medication, but is now worse with ADHD medication, however the medication for ADHD helps me get tasks accomplished for college classes with concentration and focus benefit. I have tried all SSRI's and also Effexor XR and Pristiq. I found the SNRI's worked much better for me than the SSRI's have, but now that I am on ADHD medication (dextroamphetamine tablets), I don't tolerate the stimulant and SNRI, so I am flustered with this. My psychiatrist isn't of much help.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2018
Depression Answer A63831
Welcome to e health forum.

Psychostimulants - dexamphetamine, methylphenidate, and modafinil - reduce fatigue, and are helpful in the management of depression in selective groups of patients. It is unlikely that your symptoms of depression have been caused or worsened by dextroamphetamine.

Hence It is not possible to make a assessment of your underlying psychiatric condition just based on the history that you have provided.

A proper face to face examination would be absolutely necessary.

Hence it would be recommended that you consult a psychiatrist and seek a proper opinion.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Tags: Depression
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.