Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

depression or bipolar ?

it has been suggested to me that i might be bipolar but i have read up on it and i don't get the manic phase at all...but i do have severe mood swings from "normal" me to severe depression

i have been diagnosed with clinical depression and have been on medicine for it for over a year now but can't take as high a dose as necessary because i get bad side effects so i am just on the lowest dose

any other antidepressants i have tried have made me more depressed and even suicidal so i am scared to try anything else...but a friend of mine thinks the reason the medicine isn't working enough is because i am bipolar and not being treated right...how can i know?

i'm also wondering if it's the new medicine i have just started taking for an unrelated problem that perhaps is causing the severe mood swings...but honestly there is always a trigger to cause my mood to swing one way or the other...i am usually depressed lately but have had a few moments when i feel good and back to normal...and i do feel like i have literally been going through hell lately...and this is not just my perception...others who have heard some of what i have been through agree it is a lot at once

any light anyone can shed on this would be appreaciated, thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2009
Supporter
some people who are bipolar take antidepressant medications. for example i used to take prozac for depression, and i m going to email yu a website that tells you that is also a med. for bipolar disorder.
i can also email you a website that tells you all the things a person that has bipolar does.
if you have been diagnosis with clinical depression, what did the therapist say about you being bipolar?
i think they are the only people that can really diagnosis you with being bipolar.
|

replied September 12th, 2009
problem is i can't afford to go back to the psychologist to ask... :-/
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2009
Supporter
are you able to buy mood enhanced herbs?
the herbs that helps your mood are SamE, HPT-5, & St.Johns worth.
im on birth control pills and it really helps with my depression and mood swings.
i think this is something that you should research.
|

replied October 28th, 2009
hi, i see your question was a month or so ago but i am the same way. i have mood swings ocassionally and some highs that last very briefly. my docs have said that bipolars typically stay high for a week or so at a time, rather than a day or a few hours. and going from "normal" to depressed isn't really bipolar. you may need to try several different anti-depressives/meds to find what works. i went through a bunch before finding a winning combo. i take a cocktail of 4 different ones. yes, i'm very mellow. it took a long while (a few years) to get the combo right but it's worth it. some of the bipolar drugs are used to depression too and vice versa i believe. i did well on Depakote for a while which is also for bipolar. sometimes other drugs like anti-psychotics can be useful too when others aren't working. i've tried those too. i'm sure your doc would work with you. it just takes a while. You are worth it! hang in there! it does get better! i promise!
|

replied December 8th, 2009
A manic episode is required for a diagnosis of bipolar disorder. Your friend is wrong.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....