Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Depression - any other things to try?

More often than not lately I've been finding it harder and harder to keep in a light-hearted mood. As far as I know nothing major has happened that should get me down but no matter what I do I can't seem to shake it. It's been happening on and off over the past few years and feels like a rollercoaster, happy for a while then in the dumps for anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks with no real explanation why.

I've tried all the things I can think of that should help - started eating better, joined a martial arts class for exercise, I'm involved in music and have been reading more often, have a 2nd job to keep busy, try be social - none of which seem to really help lately. I've noticed more over the past year or so I'll feel really passionate, excited and motivated to do something or be involved in something and without explanation, one day just not care anymore and drop it. It's getting expensive, too. I never used to be like this even about 5 years or so back. I have good family and friends, I just can't seem to shake this thing.

The smallest thing seems to cause huge changes in mood - a miscommunication or small statement just sets me off. Lately in addition to not wanting to do anything I've been involved in I've felt completely drained. No matter how much rest I get (my sleeping patterns were pretty bad for a while but have since gotten better) I always feel drained and don't want to leave the house or be around anybody. It's gotten bad enough at times I've done some stupid things that only 1 or 2 people know about...I'm not in a relationship either.

I don't want to be told to look to religion. Is there anything else I can do? I'm kindof just letting it all out in anonymity, it's too embarrassing for me to talk to a doctor, I'd rather ask here first...guys don't typically do this whole spill your guts thing so yeah, it's a little uncomfortable. I'm a little leery about medication...I don't want to be a zombie and all that.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 12th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi stokd,

Right down when these episodes occur. Keep a journal as to what you were doing when you began to feel these dark moments enter your mind. Write where you were, who you were with, what you ate, drank...etc. Do this for a month and see if there is a pattern.

Good Luck,

Faded Rose
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....