Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

depression and iodine deficiency

iodine is required for the thyroid to stimulate neurotransmitters. most people dont eat enough fish to sustain iodine. try kelp-a seaweed high in iodine. this works. please post back reports and please tell as many doctors and psychiatrists as possible
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Kimpossible13
|

replied August 15th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
iodine was added to salt about 70 years ago and it is doubtful that people r deficient
Dr.s and Psychiatrists do not need to be taught about basic chemistry and physiology
. . FAR BETTER WOULD BE TO follow the guidance the Dr.s offer
|

replied September 3rd, 2013
iodine cured my chronic acute depression
I had chronic acute depression for over 13 years. A daily dose of 750 mcg of Iodine has saved my life. My depression has been gone for 3 years while taking this supplement. Fluoride in our water and bromide that has replaced iodine in wheat processing block the activity of iodine in our bodies. Also, most table salts today are not iodized anymore because of misinformation. Dr.s and Psychs are taught by literature and schools being funded by pharmaceutical companies. After 13 years of trying every anti-depressant under the sun prescribed by mainstream doctors, I finally was convinced by a friend to see a NMD (who was a former biochemist for Pfizer). After a few simple tests, he found out that I was Iodine deficient. He explained to me that most drugs are made to treat symptoms, not the underlying problem. Nutrient supplements work! Dr.s and Psychs are too full of themselves to look at the root of the problem. Their answer to any medical concern will always be, "Take this pill."
|

replied February 23rd, 2015
Iodine cured my depression too!
Hi Steve, iodine also cured my depression! I am a 43 year old female and have too suffered from chronic acute depression since I was a teenager.

From birth I have struggled with keeping control of my emotions and I cry and fight easily. My emotions have always been high and seem to be like that of a roller coaster. But since I started taking iodine nearly a year ago, I rarely feel like crying and no longer suffer from long periods of sadness and constant self-doubt or destructive thoughts. I have also struggled my whole life with getting out of bed in the mornings no matter how much I slept or what time I went to bed. Because of iodine, I can get out of bed easily for the first time in my life and feel well rested after 7-8 hours of sleep. It also gives me more energy!

My decision to take iodine was based off of hours of online research and reading Dr. Brownstein's iodine books. I am not over-weight and do not struggle with any of the typical weight or metabolism issues that many iodine deficient folks do. I have struggled with the opposite weight issues most of my life and being too thin according to some. 5'4" and 110 lbs 90% of my adult-life. I have not lost or gained weight taking iodine.

Iodine cured my depression! I take 1 drop of 2% Lugol's iodine in my coffee once a week. There are co-factor supplements that MUST be taken in conjunction with 2% Lugol's iodine to avoid detox symptoms and minor side effects, such as headaches, stiff neck and joints and the feeling of flu-like symptoms. These manageable side effects are a small price to pay compared to being sad and depressed and feeling tired all the time.

Vitamin C 1000mg - 1500mg/day, Selenium 400mcg/day and Vitamin B-Complex is absolutely essential when taking iodine to avoid side effects. You must educate yourself and read Dr. Brownstein's books before you can understand the benefits and effects of iodine. Detox symptoms and side effects make many people give up before they ever discover the true benefits. As 2% Lugol's (approximately 2.5 mg iodine, 3.75 mg potassium iodide) once a week can be a little over the top for me, I may look for 750 mcg pills instead. Thank you for sharing luvcomp
|

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2019
Iodine fixed me too!!
Wow! Thanks for your posts.

This time last year I was spending most of my days fantasizing about suicide and I had been doing that for the best part of 20 years. I would sleep through to the afternoon (sometimes later) consistently at weekends and getting up early without a very good reason seemed near impossible. That was also regardless if I had slept well the night before. I had been like that since my teenage years and It was just assumed that I wasn't a 'morning person'. The depression came on in my early 20's and I am now 39.

Nine months ago I had told someone I was getting all of my mercury tooth fillings removed in a desperate effort to find a solution for my depression. I knew he'd had his removed for other reasons. He responded by encouraging me to go ahead with the removal of my fillings but also added that I may just have an iodine deficiency. This was never something my doctors had considered over the last 20 years which is odd considering the billions of pounds of funding and 'Medical Science' they have behind them. I was never even given a simple blood test. I began taking kelp tablets (400mg a day) following the advice given by someone with zero medical training and within days I was suddenly able to wake up and get up, early!!! I became a 'morning person' practically overnight. It was like a miracle and my housemates would be stunned to see me up and about before they had even prepared their lunch. That change occurred within the first week. In the days that followed I had felt with some trepidation as though my depression may have gone, only for it to come on again for a few days and then subside. This happened (from what I remember) two or three times within that first month. I guess the iodine was doing it's thing but stuttering as my body adjusted. My depression is now non existent and has been so since February 2019, 8 months ago. The change in my mood and ability to deal with life has been truly incredible. I'm cured, plain and simple. I'm rebuilding my life now and things seem to be getting better and better. For the first time since my childhood I am excited for my future and not spending every moment regretting my past.

Our medical system is a sham. A corrupt and disgusting money making machine that is propped up by millions of naive and compliant conformists, most of which are sick. I know countless people who are suffering and some that are slowly dying but refuse to consider taking their life and health into their own hands. Most of them refuse to even watch a documentary, foolishly believing their doctors know best. It's truly disturbing to witness, particularly as they look back at me as though I am the one with the crazy ideas. The answer to the vast majority of our issues is nutrition, a plant based diet free of any animal products. I am a vegan of 5 years and I'm proud of it. For anyone who doubts that nutrition is the answer to virtually all of our health concerns, I recommend the documentaries 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead' 'Dying to Have Known' and 'Forks over Knives' to name a few.

Thanks again for your posts, they have been amazing to read. You have to wonder how many others out there are suffering as we once were, completely unaware of how simple the solution may be. You have to wonder too how many of those poor souls are having their health further destroyed by body altering drugs that their useless doctors have prescribed them. It's a sick world we live in, in more ways than one. Let's do what we can to make it better!

Peace and love! Iain
|

replied April 9th, 2015
I have been wanting to try Iodine but wasn't sure what to take to avoid the side effects. Thank you for your post. Smile
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....