Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Depressed when travelling

User Profile
i have had depressive episodes in the past, due to me censorial hearing loss, ( I wear hearing aids) hard time socializing, at that time, i took effexor, time passed by and when i felt well i stopped it alone. after years of being happy i got in relation and after the breakup , i got depressed and even had spasm etc..i saw my doctor who gave me zoloft, i took it for 3 years, and when i felt very better i tapered it down again, since then i have been great, i actually even married and have a great personal life. Anyways, now my work includes a lot of travels, and I feel sometimes instability, fearing to be out of work, but my main concern is the travel, whenever I travel I am vomiting up and getting chest pains and my chin etc…What’s worse is that when I get back to my room I get very down and depressed, and I worry a lot and time never passes by, which makes it worse. I do have friends but most of the answer am getting when I call them to do something is am busy or I have other plans.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 19th, 2010
Depression Answer A13333
Hello.

Thank for writing to us and giving us a chance to help you. You have described your concerns quite effectively.

There are a few common issues you have to consider here. First of all, you need to see if your symptoms of vomiting, chest pains, etc. appear any time other than when you are travelling. If they don't, you might consider going deeper and finding out if you have any emotional issues attached to travel. You have mentioned that you had to take Nivaquine while you travelled to Africa in your childhood. And Nivaquine has caused your hearing loss. Your anxiety related to travel may have originated from this incidence. I do not say this is the case, but it is a possibility.

I would also like you to find out what it is about "being out of work" that troubles you most. You may then try to think rationally and prove to yourself that your fear of being out of work may actually be irrational and it may never happen as long as you are working with dedication and with a positive outlook towards your future.

I suggest you take help of a therapist, if possible, to deal with these emotional issues. Psychotherapy quite often helps overcome the anxiety/fear attached to apparently normal life situations. (such as travelling)

I hope this helps.

Best Regards

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.