Medical Questions > Relationships > Grief and Loss Forum

Depressed over an old friend who passed away..

Hey, everyone I'm Steven.

I'm 18 years old and when I was 16 my best friend pasted away in a car wreck. She was 16 also and I always thought I was a horrible person for not crying as much as everyone else even tho I probably had more feelings for her then anyone.. We really liked each other like more then friends but we both we're to scared to take down the wall and talk to each other about it. She was the most amazing person and loved me for who I was. She would always tell me that she loved me and that I'm her best friend.

Anyways one day she told me "I'll have my car tomorrow!" she was so excited I told her to drive safe and I'll see her tomorrow. On her way to school she lost control of the car and ran into a tree, killing her self and her little sister.

Everyone as my school cried so much and shed so many tears.. I did cry but not as much as I think I should.. I really do miss her and it hurts me every day to know I'm getting older and she's young still at 16.. Our birth days we're 4 days apart so I was always used to us geting older together..

Lately I have been feeling really depressed about this and I don't know how to deal with it..
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2008
Grief and loss will appear when we are ready. There is no "Right" or "Wrong" way to mourn someone's death. WE are are unique individuals who process loss differently. So, don't be too hard on yourself!

Do you trust your school counselor with your feelings?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with PTSD.
You would need antidepressants and psychotherapy sessions.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Grief and Loss , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.