Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Depressed, lost interest, now family is suffering consequences

I am Type 2 diabetic managed by metformin.

I am also on citalopram (for 18 months now), sitaglyptin and simvastatin, plus multi vitamins and fish oils from Holland and Barrett, I have tried pharmiton but I didn't find it made a difference. I am now trying pro plus starting from today.

I don't have any family problems, in a stable relationship, solvent, with a three year old and I am 46 and with my own business and we work in Dubai as well as the UK.

I have hidden from everyone about my taking citalopram because I thought it was something that would go away. I don't want sympathy.

I thought a cure might be to treat myself with niceties of life such as a new car, lavish family vacations and a complete home makeover to start afresh hoping that might fix the problem but it didn't work.

y father had psychotic depression when he died aged 50 in the late 1970's (suicide) and it was never explained why he had it. I am concerned I have had inherited something genetically. He did not have circumstantial depression and I know its not circumstantial with me. There is nothing wrong in my life apart from harbouring depression from everyone around me and secretly fighting this persistent tiredness.

I have seen my doctor who has run a battery of blood tests and numerous check lists and they all trump up nothing. I originally suspected under active thyroid. I have lost interest in anything social or family gatherings; I feel I just want to stay away from people in my own little world, on Sundays I have the family over and I now sit behind a broadsheet or a laptop. Even the thought of being someone in prison shut away in a cell has actually become appealing to me.

My partner has started complaining that I am "sleeping my life away" and I even have a tendency to nap during the day if I know nobody would notice. Also my work is now faltering and clients are not happy with the quality of my work. I know something is seriously wrong because I had always been very client orientated and delivering a first class service, but now I feel I have lost interest in everything and the business is faltering and I know its my own fault because I was too lazy to deal with it.

I feel like I am a pain in the proverbial complaining to my doctor when I know nothing is being diagnosed. Its just more checklists and blood tests.

I am not suicidal, no tendency to cause self harm or have any anger problem. And I am not stressed by anything apart from the fact I am the principle breadwinner of an extended family and I am trying my hardest to hide my shortcomings from them.

My hand is now firmly pressed on the panic button. Any advice of comments would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 14th, 2013
Active User, very eHealthy
What you are describing sounds like depression to me. Not sure if this is a sleep issue or sleep disorder per se.

Sounds like you will be helped by counseling. If I were in your situation I would want to try to identify the root causes for what I was feeling, with the understanding that the depression is a symptom of something else going on deeper. Those root causes are what I would try to address.

I would also suggest you bring all this to the attention of your doctor. You are taking a number of prescription meds some of which could have side effects contributing to what you are feeling. There may be possible adjustments to your meds that will help you improve.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....