Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

depressed after having surgery

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
i had surgery 8 days ago and ever since i woke up from the surgery
ive been depressed and i keep on crying every day.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
ok--hang in there---im going to move this to the depression forum where you can get some help--ok?
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: depressed after having surgery
charmedwitch wrote:
i had surgery 8 days ago and ever since i woke up from the surgery
ive been depressed and i keep on crying every day.

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear you're so down after surgery. I assume everything went well in the surgery and that you are not in a lot of pain.

Pain will make you depressed, especially if it lingers for a while. Also, recovering from surgery without someone to support you can be depressing because you are lonely.

You haven't really described what exactly the situation is with you now, almost two weeks after the surgery. I hope you are able to get some rest and catch up on some thing you like to do like read, sew or whatever.
|

replied June 28th, 2008
Supporter
well i just cry every day
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
charmedwitch wrote:
well i just cry every day

So nothing has changed? Are you in pain or are you depressed after surgery? Or both?

I'd like to offer help, but I don't know what's wrong. Are you crying because you are still depressed? Can you tell what's making you depressed? Are you alone after surgery?
|

replied June 28th, 2008
Supporter
hi im not in pain,just sad every day.
whats making me depressed is staying at home doing nothing all day.
|

replied June 28th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
i've heard that some types of anesthesia can have this effect? but i dont think that it'd last for 8 days...maybe it could be like someone else said, you need some company...have a friend come over and play a few card games or something
|

replied June 29th, 2008
Supporter
ok well its nearly been 3 weeks since my surgery
|

replied June 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
well the effects wouldn't last that long...it sounds like you're cooped up in the house, like i said, have someone come over..if I weren't able to get out of the house for that long I'd start to feel lonely too
|

replied June 30th, 2008
Supporter
yeah okay
|

replied December 15th, 2010
I had a surgery a while back(absecess drainage on the right buttock)

Ever since day 1 post-surgery, I've suffered through chronic pain, fevers, vomiting, discharges from around the site, and don't even get me started on what happens when my bowels move.

I don't even know how I would ever get something like this, I'm usually a very healthy person. I mean I hit the gym every single day and I have a good diet. I thought I would be the last person to have something so bad to make me go to hospital.

I never knew I was even sick, until the symptoms really started to hit hard. This depresses me every single day, I don't even want to get out of bed some days even though the doctor reccomends me to walk.
|

replied March 5th, 2013
Today is the 15th day after my surgery and I am feeling depressed.
|
Quick Reply