Have you ever felt like this?
Yes
No
Sometimes
100%  100%  [ 5 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5
Well I have a very confusing problem that has gone on for quite some time. From what I have read I have what I believe to be called "depersonalization". From what I understand is most people with this only feel sadness but unlike them I feel joy and happiness but in a really weird way.

It's extremely hard to explain so I'm going to do the best I can.

So you know that feeling like when you aren't paying attention and you snap back to reality? It's sort of like that. I will wake up on Monday go through my schedule for school and go to bed. Then all of the sudden I will realize I'm half way through Friday and I have a very vague idea of what happened in the past days. I feel like a robot and that my life is on autopilot. It is extremely stressful and very depressing. I have a feeling when I'm hanging out with friends sometimes that I will just go inside my head and I will periodically snap back to reality temporarily and my vision seems really dizzy like. I also feel lie I'm smarter than I really am if that makes sense. Like when I try and understand a concept in lets say computer science I understand it but something in my mind is stopping me from accessing that knowledge. It's like that feeling where a word is on the tip of the tip of your tongue but you just can't quite get it.

Nothing traumatic ever happened to me per say. I believe it happened when my dog died when I was around the age of 10 maybe? I have also been bullied most of my life up until sophmore year of highschool. My entire past is just a blur (not amnesia or memory loss) and I only remember small random details of what happened.

I know this is long but I desperately need help with this and I would appreciate it very much if you would attempt to help me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 17th, 2011
I suffer depersonalisation and derealisation very badly. I have recently found some books on the subject which I found to be very helpful and gave me hope as there are cases when people fully recover from this with proper help. The problem is that it is not very well understood. You must also remember that for mentally healthy people it is hard to grasp the concept of feeling like you do and often their advice is of little help. It is also reassuring to know you are not alone and that there are many very successful people with this disorder. You need to realise what your limitations are and accept them whilst still trying to find things that are within your limitations that you enjoy. Please research and read the books that I have. The information they provide is essential to accepting your issue and and finding ways to cope. The books are: Overcoming Depersonalization Disorder: A Mindfulness and Acceptance Guide to Conquering Feelings of Numbness and Unreality, The DP manual and At last a life. I hope this helps. Best wishes
|

replied October 17th, 2011
Thank you so much for responding. So it does sound like I have depersonalization? Like I said I just do stuff without even thinking like a robot and have vague recollection of who I talked to, what I said to them, or things that I did. It is very frustrating and confusing to try and understand why my mind behaves like it does and I really hope there is a way to overcome it.
|

replied January 10th, 2012
Hi Kyle. How are you doing?
|

I had the same thing you are going through!! It sucks big time!
Try going to YouTube and typing in depersonalization. There
Are alot of people out there going through the same thing. It helped
me alot. Hang in there. Time will do it's thing and you will get better
and back to the way you used to be. I had it for about a year and
I am fully back new And improved.
|

I had the same thing you are going through!! It sucks big time!
Try going to YouTube and typing in depersonalization. There
Are alot of people out there going through the same thing. It helped
me alot. Hang in there. Time will do it's thing and you will get better
and back to the way you used to be. I had it for about a year and
I am fully back new And improved.
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....